Renewable Energy Projects
Learn More About Renewable Energy | Projects | Tips | Reviews | Breaking News
Full Design & Installation Available For Solar Hot Water | Wind Turbines | Solar Panels | Micro Hydro | Off-Grid Power
Contact Andy Now For A Free, Friendly Quote or Chat On UK - 07504 50 50 89

The only thing that is not electric in this house is the oil heat.
I have Electric water heater, Electric clothes dryer, Electric range
and oven. (we don't really cook on these much at all. Mostly
microwave, toaster oven and George F. grill)

I just got done entering all my electric bills for this house over
the last 5.5 years into a spreadsheet. When I first moved into this
house it used 25kWh/day.
First goal was the theoretical amount I could get from a car
alternator if I could run it 24/7. I pegged that at 1HP or 746 watts
just for the sake of argument times 24 hrs for about 18kWh/day.
Next goal was the theoretical amount I could generate if I could
afford to panel the whole south side of my roof with solar panels.
This is about 4kW times 4 hrs of sunlight or about 16kWh/day. Last 3
bills have all been about 15kWh/day.
Next goal is half of what this house started with or 12.5kWh/day.
After that just as low as I can go.
The short term goal is to be able to survive using an alternator
hooked to a lawn mower engine or later a diesel engine, my 3 panels,
4 batteries and a big PSW inverter when the grid goes down. I would
not be able to run the clothes dryer which I could do without or the
electric water heater which would be harder to do without but I could
run everything else in the house even if I had to do it one thing at
a time to stay alive and warm. In the mean time I am able to use the
power I do get from my panels and system to replace grid power by
doing small tasks around the house like lighting or running 12 volt
fans for house cooling or once in a while running my whole computer
room or the dishwasher or clothes washer or something like that.
Long term goal is a roof full of panels and a small windturbine, more
and better batteries and no more need for the grid.
According to the DOE in 2001, national average household electricity
usage was about 29kWh/day so at least I'm beating that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment