Renewable Energy Projects
Learn More About Renewable Energy | Projects | Tips | Reviews | Breaking News
Full Design & Installation Available For Solar Hot Water | Wind Turbines | Solar Panels | Micro Hydro | Off-Grid Power
Contact Andy Now For A Free, Friendly Quote or Chat On UK - 07504 50 50 89

The generator, regardless of size, really needs to be in clean
non-turbulent air. Even with longer blades the wind will contain a
considerable amount of rotation/rolling coming off the trees, or whatever
the obstruction is.

I started flying sailplanes when I was 13, soloed when I was 14 and been
fighting turbulence like that for the last 34 years flying recreationally
from small grass strips that are tree lined. I have to wear cowboy boots
out of necessity sometimes to get up above the tree line.

My air303 is at about 50 feet, runs nice and clean when the wind is out of
the southeast around clockwise to about due west, but to the north and
east I have trees that are slightly taller. THis is a major bummer in the
winter time since all the good stuff tends to come from that direction.
Should have made my tower twice as tall. Even if I had a 2kw wind
generator it would still be useless when the wind is from the norther
directions.

You will get something out of it, but I wouldnt depend on it for power
unless you are a real spartan.

I am according to the government maps on the edge of being in a good area
for wind. problem is those maps are calculated assuming 150 foot towers.

consequently mid summer like now, and mid winter the wind generator pretty
much just sits still. Spring and fall I get some semi-productive amount
but I still couldnt be sufficient on it alone. However, I also have 960
watts of PV.

My father in law just last weekend, who is electrically clueless but
really is impressed that I am so into alternative energy, made the comment
about gee if you just had 2 or 3 more of those wind generators you would
be all set.

At the time the wind generator was sitting there still. My response was,
yep I'd be getting 2 or 3 times as much power as I am now off that one
wind generator, 3 times 0 is still 0

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment